Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Four Years Down, and More to Come...


Yep, sustainablog is back, just in time for its four-year anniversary (today). The last few months have required a lot of attention in other places, but things change, and I'm very happy to be able to devote some time to this blog, which just keeps calling me back...

The biggest change of late is my leaving Treehugger. I had a good run there, and thoroughly enjoyed my time writing for them, but with the success of Green Options, TH founder Graham Hill thought it might be better if we parted ways. I was fine with that: GO has been successful, and I want to be able to concentrate on doing my part to keep things that way. I left TH with no hard feelings: I wish them well, and hope there are opportunities for us to work together again.

While it would have been easy to just bury myself in my GO work (and there's plenty of it), once I wrote my last TH post, I immediately thought "Hey, I could start sustainablog back up." A blogger blogs, as I wrote yesterday, and I'm a blogger at heart. I also know that, while I enjoy working on sites run by others, there's nothing quite like my own space on the web. Multi-writer blogs feel like conferences sometimes; a small one like this feels more like a conversation with friends in my living room. I miss that...

In getting sustainablog relaunched, I've also decided to refocus just a bit. Four years ago, it was relatively easy to stay on top of coverage of sustainability -- there just wasn't much of it! Things have changed there, too -- now, you can't pass a magazine stand, or visit a news site, without seeing a reference to "green" this, or "eco" that. I'm thrilled by that development, as you might imagine -- I also realize, though, that staying on top of the broad range of developments is more challenging. So, I'm going to focus in a bit more, and give preference to things happening in my part of the world: mainly, the Midwest. I won't make this focus exclusive, but will give preference to stories from the region -- there's a lot happening around here, and not just ethanol...;-)

Finally, I do plan to keep sustainablog largely independent of GO. I'll do some cross posting, but plan to make that the exception, rather than the rule. Next week will be an exception... I'll explain more about that in the coming days.

If you're reading this, thank you -- I'm glad you're here, and I hope you'll come back. There's an awful lot of green on the web these days -- I hope you find sustainablog valuable enough to give it some of your time. Always feel free to let me know what I could be doing better... this blog is, and always has been, a community effort.

So, let's get back at it...