Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas, and a meme...


This will probably be the last post I do until Tuesday... Jan has made me promise to keep work to a minimum today and tomorrow. To those of you celebrating it, Merry Christmas! To those of you that don't, or celebrate another holiday, or multiple holidays (as many do), Happy Holidays! (I've now covered both bases in the War Against Christmas...).

I'm really terrible about playing my part in keeping a meme going, or playing "tag," but Ivan Storck, aka Ivan Enviroman, tagged me just over a week ago... so, here are five things that you may not know about me:

1. Following Ivan's lead... I'm a genuine agnostic -- I don't practice any religion currently, and am a non-believer, but am unwilling to dismiss the existence of higher power... I just don't know. I grew up Episcopalian, and was very active and religious (in the Episcopalian sense) in high school and college: spent two summers in college, for instance, as a camp counselor at the diocease's summer camp (and still have very fond memories...). I even considered the ministry as a career for a while...
2. Despite all of my education in literature, my favorite reading pleasure is a good mystery novel. My current favorites are James Lee Burke and Carl Hiaasen. I really enjoy Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. I've recently gotten into Greg Iles... just about finished with Turning Angel. I still plan to write one of these...
3. My favorite (un) green guilty pleasure... hmmmm... I guess it's Starbuck's coffee (sorry, Siel!). I will say that I drink most of it for free: my step-son works at Starbuck's, and gets a pound a week. Before that, my older step-daughter worked there.
4. I grew my facial hair mainly to appear older: when I started teaching at 25, I looked about the same age as many of my students. Now, it's just a part of my appearance... it's hard to imagine myself without a beard of some kind.
5. I hate to fly, and take any other kind of transportation if I can. I firmly believe that any activity that requires the presence of a barf bag just isn't natural. I was ecstatic to hear about flying's carbon impact, as it gives me another good reason to stay off planes.

OK, who to tag.... how about Shea, David, Ryan, Craig and Elsa...

Categories: , ,