Monday, October 31, 2005

Here We Go Again...Supreme Court version

Daniel's asking, and I'm interested, too: anyone got the goods on Judge Samuel Alito's record on environmental protection and related legal issues? So far (and this isn't surprising), the focus is on abortion and seperation of church and state...

UPDATE: Daniel scores... I find Alito's position on Public Interest Research Group (PIRG) v. Magnesium Elektron (MEI) troubling also because it demonstrates a pattern of hostility among new court members towards allowing citizens access to courts on environmental matters: if I remember right (and I'll check) new Chief Justice Roberts also took positions against individuals/groups suing on environmental grounds -- I believe the reasoning there had to do with a lack of "direct harm" to those suing. So much for the commons...

Categories: , , ,