Monday, July 11, 2005

BRC 20: Harris Ueng: A Beautiful Domestic Appellation for Rieslings

Normally, I'm a Marketing & Media Director at Eleven Feet Media LLC, a nimble brand communications & design firm, and I write a business blog called Forging Inertia.

In an attempt to keep things on the fun 'n entertaining side, my posts for "Bloggin' Round the Clock" will be similar to those I post on my personal blog, The Deep Fried Ghost.There I blog about wines & ports, coffee & espresso, audiophilia & music, and, of course, introducing sustainability to my diverse readers. I like to think of it as a way to kill two birds with one stone, i.e. write about my interests and slide in a bit of green talk while I'm at it. ;-)

Hope you all enjoy the posts and a BIG thanks to Jeff for putting this on for a worthy cause all 'round!!

Note: Harris has also gone above and beyond and written three guest posts. Now that Care2 is back up, you'll see them all this evening.


It's a downright shame we have these archaic state laws restricting interstate shipping alcoholic beverages from and into various states. This factor has been one of the large contributors to the fact that here in California, we are limited to purchasing tasty Rieslings from Germany and Austria, rather than the great homegrown wines from the New York Finger Lakes.

While out there for grad school, I had the opportunity to go wine tasting at the various family-owned vineyards and wineries around the Finger Lakes appellation in New York State. To this day, I haven’t found any reasonably priced imported Riesling to match the quality and delicate complexity of Finger Lake Rieslings, which typically sell for $10-20 per bottle at any New York wine retailers (or supermarket). Instead, the only bottle I've found worth having for $30 or under is the Schloss Saarstein Riesling Auslese ($30).

We haven’t even begun to cover the late harvest Rieslings, which, in some years, can compare to the BA’s of Rhineland.

If you’re into Rieslings, dry or sweet, take a look at the wineries in the Finger Lakes, such as Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard, Hunt Country
Vineyards
, and Wagner Vineyards.

While Napa has been the talk of the press as far sustainability is concerned, many vineyards of the Finger Lakes have been practicing sustainable farming practices since the early 70’s.

Technorati tags: , , ,


Stonyfield Farm