Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Microsoft Metaphor

While not directly about sustainability, I found yesterday's column by San Franicisco Chronicle writer Mark Morford (via The Higher Pie) interesting in its attack on Microsoft and its near-monopolistic control of operating systems. The more I think about, the more I realize that Microsoft is a fitting symbol for an unsustainable model of production and consumption -- the technological equivalent of monoculture. At the same time, I do have a criticism of Morford's take -- moving from Microsoft to Apple is also a fitting symbol of how we try to solve problems in our current midset -- move from one single solution to another. I think the open source model provides a much more sustainable system for software development in that it's evolutionary and distributed -- "organic" if you will. Of course, all of the may be the result of the piece of old pizza I ate yesterday...